Celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. brings Utica University community together

Scarlen Lopez working at a table at an event honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and gathering peoples’ dreams. Photo courtesy of Mark Kovacs

In celebration of Martin Luther King Jr., the Utica University community created a collage to be displayed at the micro art gallery to the left of the bookstore. The collage is made up of dreams for the future that were written anonymously on posters at the “I Have a Dream” community collage event on Jan. 18. The display represents collectivity and equity in the legacy of Dr. King 

The posters, designed by junior Scarlen Lopez who works for DEI, represented the cause that Dr. King was fighting for. Not only was he advocating for civil rights but he ultimately wanted all people to come together as one. The collage event encouraged the university community to collaborate and learn what one anothers hopes and dreams are in life.  

“Dr. King’s movement emphasizes the power of working together and that there is strength in numbers,” said Kira Maddox, communications and community engagement coordinator. “Displaying this collage shows all the different parts that come together to create a whole which can produce significant change.” 

The DEI office turned the one day holiday into a month-long celebration in remembrance for Dr. King’s impact. They aim to inspire the community to continue fighting for the movement and create change, no matter how significant. 

“A Lot of people think we’ve achieved everything Dr. King was fighting for but there is still a large need for civil rights movements and their preservation,” said Jordyn Bucci-Mooney, a second year graduate student. “It is not something from the past, it is still present.”

In honor of his life and legacy, the DEI office hosted this event, as well as several others leading up to and following Martin Luther King Jr. Day. These events then lead into the observance of Black History Month and Women’s History Month. 

“Over time, the dream has gotten larger in so many ways,” said Mark Kovacs, executive director of DEI. “Rather than civil rights, it’s now human rights for everybody.”

The DEI office will continue to plan other events, volunteer opportunities and training for the rest of the spring semester.  

“Dr. King wanted to bring all people together and events like these help to continue his dream,” Lopez said.