Homecoming 2023 is approaching, will include Pfannestiel inauguration and new Pioneer Path Run/Walk

Tangerine file photo by Maria Montero Silva.

Homecoming 2023 is set to take place from Sept. 29 – Oct. 1. Here is a complete list of events provided by the Office of Advancement.

Homecoming 2023 Schedule of Events

An Information Station will be housed at the Cynkus Family Welcome Center from 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. every day during Homecoming Weekend.  

Friday, Sept. 29

3 – 4 p.m. The Inauguration of Dr. Todd Pfannestiel Charles A. Gaetano Stadium, Rain Location, Harold T. Clark, Jr. Athletic Center, Gym (Open to all guests and registration is recommended)

4 – 7 p.m.     The Inauguration of Dr. Todd Pfannestiel Post-Ceremony Celebration Connie Gaetano Plaza, Tent.  (Registration is now closed)

7 – 9 p.m.    Utica University Theatre Cabaret Ralph F. Strebel Student Center, Auditorium (Free)

7 – 9:30 p.m.  Utica University Football Alumni ReceptionDelmonico’s Italian Steakhouse, 147 North Genesee Street, Utica. All club and varsity football alumni and their guests are invited. Reception includes hearty hors d’ oeuvres and two drink tickets. (Reception: $30)

7 – 10 p.m.   Carnival and More Ralph F. Strebel Student Center, Front Lawn. Rides, games, cotton candy, popcorn, and snow cones. All ages are welcome. (Free)

7 – 11 p.m.     Men’s Lacrosse Alumni Game and ReceptionCharles A. Gaetano Stadium and John A. Donohue, Sr. ’57 and Valerie F. Donohue Concourse. Alumni game followed by the 2023 Men’s Lacrosse Awards Ceremony and Alumni Reception. (Reception: $20)

7 – 11 p.m.  Men’s Soccer Alumni Game and ReceptionLaura M. Casamento Track and Field Complex and Ralph F. Strebel Student Center, Pioneer Pub. Join men’s soccer alumni for a game of soccer and then celebrate with fellow alumni and current players with a reception in the Pioneer Pub. (Reception: $20)

7 p.m. – 1 a.m. National Pan-Hellenic Council (the Divine Nine) Table Displays Ralph F. Strebel Student Center. Members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, also known as the Divine Nine, will have informational tables set up in and around the Strebel Student Center to learn about these historically Black fraternities and sororities and how the organizations have been a catalyst  for change while they represent the collective purposes of scholarship, service, and the power of community. (Free)                           

10 p.m. – 1 a.m. “Rep Ya Flag Party” – Ralph F. Strebel Student Center, Ellen Knower Lounge. Join students, alumni, and the Utica University community for a dance party hosted by the Black Student Union. Bring a flag from the country you or your family is from – the event is about bringing together and celebrating all the different cultures of Utica University. DJ BIGBOY (Timothy Kirkland ’06) will provide entertainment throughout the evening. (Students: Free / Alumni and Parents: $10 per person) Pre-registration is required because space is limited. Registration deadline is Friday, Sept. 29, at 5 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 30

10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. The President’s Golden Pioneer and Alumni Awards Reception and Brunch, Harold T. Clark, Jr. Athletic Center, Gym. Pioneers from the Class of 1973 (50th), Class of 1953 (70th), Class of 1958 (65th), Class of 1963 and Class of 1968. Lunch is complimentary for members of ’73, ’68, ’63, ’58, ’53, and ’49 classes.

10 a.m. Women’s Lacrosse Alumnae Game –  Laura M. Casamento Track and Field Complex. Celebrate over 20 years of Women’s Varsity Lacrosse by playing in or watching the alumnae game. (Free)

Women’s Lacrosse Alumnae Lunch – Ralph F. Strebel Student Center, Pioneer Pub. Connect with women’s lacrosse alumnae, parents, friends, plus meet current team members and coaches. (Reception: $20)

10:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. Construction Management Tailgate Event, Thurston Hall, Lawn, Large Tent. Home-style BBQ, gumbo, live music and more. (Free)

11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Pre-Football Game Tailgate Ralph F. Strebel Student Center, Back Lawn. Food is available for purchase. WPNR 90.7 FM will provide music and on-air shout-out opportunities. (Reception $15)

11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Family Fun TentRalph F. Strebel Student Center, Back Lawn, Small Tent  Kid-friendly activities: face painting, coloring table, balloons, Trax selfies, etc. (Free)

11 a.m. – 7 p.m. National Pan-Hellenic Council (the Divine Nine) Table Displays Ralph F. Strebel Student Center. Members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, also known as the Divine Nine, will have informational tables set up in and around the Strebel Student Center to learn about these historically Black fraternities and sororities and how the organizations have been a catalyst for change while they represent the collective purposes of scholarship, service, and the power of community. (Free)

Noon John Paul “JP” Ramel Memorial Pergola Dedication Thurston Hall, Side Lawn. The memory of John Paul “JP” Ramel will be honored by dedicating a Pergola, designed and built by his former Construction Management classmates.

1 p.m. Football Game: Utica University vs. HartwickCharles A. Gaetano Stadium. Wear blue and orange and cheer on the Pioneers.  ($5 Adults; $2 non-Utica students at the gate. Free admission if you bring a non-perishable item for Feed Our Vets.

2 – 6 p.m. Carnival and More Ralph F. Strebel Student Center, Front Lawn. Rides, games, cotton candy, popcorn, and snow cones! All ages are welcome. (Free)

3 p.m. Young Scholars’ Annual Potluck GatheringFaculty Center, Back Lawn. Join current Young Scholars Liberty Partnerships Program (YSLPP) students, alumni, families, and friends for this annual event. (Free)

4 p.m. Women’s Soccer vs. Houghton UniversityLaura M. Casamento Track and Field Complex. Wear you orange and blue and support  members of the Women’s Soccer team. (Free)

4 – 7  p.m. Pioneer 5th Quarter Party Large Tent, Ralph F. Strebel Student Center, Back Lawn. Keep the party going for some post-game food and beverages. Food available for purchase.

6 – 8 p.m. Alumni Social Gathering at 1888 Biergarten, F.X. Matt Brewing Company, Brewery Courtyard, 811 Edward St., Utica. Recent graduates, friends, and family join with the Classes of 2013 and 2018 as they celebrate their 5 and 10-year reunions at Saranac’s Octoberfest. This event is open to all classes. (Free. Food and beverages are available for purchase). Pre-registration is encouraged to be entered into a Utica “swag” raffle. Note: Weather-permitting – the  venue is closed in the event of inclement weather. Visit the 1888 Biergarten site for details.

7 p.m. Men’s Soccer vs. Nazareth College Laura M. Casamento Track and Field Complex. Wear orange and blue and support members of the Men’s Soccer team. (Free)

Sunday, Oct. 1

9 a.m. Pioneer Path Run/Walk – Utica University Campus

Join Utica students, faculty, staff, and alumni for a run/walk around campus. Runners will receive a t-shirt and light refreshments. ($25 pre-registered by Sept. 24, $30 if registered Sept. 25 – Oct. 1).

9 a.m. – Noon Grab and Go BreakfastRalph F. Strebel Student Center, Ellen Knower Lounge. Enjoy a grab and go breakfast meal in the Ellen Knower Lounge before you head home. (Breakfast: $15 pp)