Public Speaking class to host addiction education event

Jama Joseph, Staff Writer

Students in Communication Professor Jeff Miller’s Honors Public Speaking class are hosting an open forum and presentation titled “How to Save a Life: Hear a Harrowing True Story on Addiction and Recovery” on April 20 at 6 p.m. in the Boehlert Conference Room.

Two speakers will present and discuss drug abuse and addiction while providing information on how to help individuals who may have a drug problem and what to do in the event of an overdose.

Attendees can expect to learn about how to handle a situation where someone may be overdosing, how to help someone who is suffering from a drug problem and the negative effects that drugs have on the body.

Free Narcan distribution and demonstration will also be available. 

After the presentation, attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions.

Discussing drug abuse and addiction is important because drug use has become normalized, and people may not question it as a problem.Educating people with the tools to keep themselves and others safe from the dangers associated with drug use and addiction is vital.

Emma Puleri, a student in the Public Speaking class, said the class surveyed many people on campus about what issues they thought were most relevant to talk about and drug use was at the top of the list.

“This event will help raise awareness as it discusses drug use and addiction in the college environment, which pertains to the life of all students on campus,” Puleri said. “We hope that this event can educate students so that they can continue to share the information they learn to others.”

To prevent drug addiction in their communities, individuals can be supportive and understanding of those who need help, educate themselves about resources they can refer people to, and point those who need help in the direction of safe and trusted professionals, she said. 

If you are looking for more information or resources on drug abuse and addiction, refer to the Oneida County Opioid Task Force, harmreduction.org or the Heroin Epidemic Action League. These resources can provide the tools and information needed to help those struggling with addiction.