Utica College welcomes students with new activities

Morgan Manfredo

Staff Writer

Utica College has been conducting activities all week to help students ease their way back into the semester. For some students, the new semester came way too soon. The campus has been holding activities every night for students, and is not stopping anytime soon.

UC held a dance on Aug. 29 at Duffy Plaza in front of Boehlert Hall. The dance was for freshmen to meet and get to know other incoming freshmen.

Samantha Harrington attended the dance.

“So many people attended the dance,” Harrington said. “It was a huge success and definitely something that students appreciated.”

Harrington said she was there right until it ended at 12:30 a.m. and there were still a tremendous number of students dancing and mingling. Harrington hopes that having this dance was something the freshman benefitted from when it comes to making new friends.

DJ Rey Stacks played music all night for people to dance to. The gym was also open for students to have free time or work out if they wanted to as well.

The bubble ball tournament went on all day Friday, Sept. 4 from 12:30-6:30 p.m. in the residential quad. Bubble ball is an intense game of soccer and bumper cars combined. Students were going head-to-head all day long for their chance to be the champion. Rachael Scaramuzzino, a junior at UC, said she did not know it was going to be so hard.

“I didn’t think I was going to break a sweat, but you really have to be a coordinated person in order to be a winner at this game,” Scaramuzzino said.

Scaramuzzino said it was fun and an awesome experience for the students to let loose during their first week of classes.

UC hosted a relaxing evening for students on campus with a screening of the summer comedy, “Pitch Perfect 2”. The movie was played in the quad on a big screen on Sunday before classes started. It was a huge success.

“Pitch Perfect 2” was hilarious and was sure to put a smile on faces that were not happy to be starting classes again the next morning.

Sophomore Adam Moody attended the movie night and loved it.

“I wasn’t going to go at first, but I was happy I went because I laughed the whole time,” Moody said.

Moody also mentioned that the quad was filled with students, adding that UC should host more movie nights.