Student Profile: Cameron White

Imani Vincent, Staff Writer 

Utica College business major, sophomore Cameron White looks to better his time on and off the filed here at UC so he can add on to his long list of memories.

White’s mom is originally from Brooklyn while his dad hails from the beautiful island of Barbados. They met in New Rochelle, and now reside there permanently. White, or also known to the majority UC population as Cam, comes from a very large family. He has one full brother and four older half brothers.

The only person that he holds a close relationship is his youngest brother Marshall. He is now 15 years old and attends Cam’s high school of New Rochelle. White would like to experience a stronger relationship between himself and his brothers. He believes they might hold a lot of insight to things just because they are older.

White has had a strong sports upbringing since everyone around him started playing sports at a very young age. He played many sports growing up. His first sport wasn’t football, surprisingly, it was baseball. White started playing baseball at the age of six. As he grew older, baseball grew apart from him.

“I stopped playing baseball because I felt like it wasn’t fun anymore,” White said. “Baseball was something I did for fun and the competition just got too serious.”

Immediately after, he started to take football more seriously as he felt he could really be good at the sport. Some might say White started playing football late in his life, as he started playing in eighth grade.

White describes starting football as “spur of the moment,” and he hit the ground running ever since.

At New Rochelle High School, he was on a very successful football team. In his junior year the team won a state championship. During his senior year they only managed to lose four games. Aside from playing in the Carrier Dome and winning a state championship, White’s best football memory happened more recently. This past season here at UC, White caught an interception against rival St. John Fisher and returned it for a touchdown.

White had many choices coming out of high school on where he would like to further his education and continue to play football, schools such as Buffalo State, Alfred and Brockport. He didn’t seem interested enough to attend those state schools so he came to UC, and says he would make the same decision all over again if he had to.

“I liked the environment and it was diverse,” White said. “Everyone was friendly, it was similar to my high school.”

The month of October means a lot to him because it is breast cancer awareness month. Football players wear pink to show recognition to all the survivors and people still battling the cancer. White’s mother was diagnosed with breast cancer his sophomore year of high school.

“I was scared I was going to lose her every day in the beginning but as time went on I grew faith and knew she was going to survive,” White said.

Currently, his mother has been in remission for two years.

White’s expectations for the near future are to finish this semester with a 3.0 or higher as he has done every semester here. He also expects to work harder than he has before in football, with his junior year slowly approaching he is fighting for a starting position on the varsity team.