UC students explore Study Abroad Options

Jacqui White, Staff Writer

Utica College has plenty of choices for students who want to study abroad. There are 100 locations for the students to choose from within 50 different countries. According to the UC website for studying abroad, students can choose to study abroad during the fall or spring semester. Students can also enroll in courses that fulfill core, major, minor, or elective credits. While studying abroad, students will be registered for 12 credits. When they return, their record will be updated to record the specific courses and credits they received while they were abroad.

Even though students can study abroad any year, Lisa Tehan, the director of study abroad, says junior year is usually the recommended time for most students to study abroad. She also said that starting the process early by gathering information as a freshman and a sophomore is always a good idea.

Some of the locations that study-abroad students can choose from include: Aberystwyth University in Wales, Abo Akademi University in Finland, and Dong-Eui University in South Korea.

Tehan said traditionally “our students are most interested in the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.”

University of Strathclyde in Scotland, American College Dublin in Ireland, and Aberystwyth University are three of the study abroad options in the United Kingdom.

Other study abroad options include: Kansai Gaidai University in Japan, Lingnan University in Hong Kong, China, Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas (UPC) in Peru, Eotvos Lorand Tudomany Egyetem (ELTE) in Hungary, and Dong-Eui University in South Korea.

Tehan also explained how students should prepare to study abroad.

“Students should talk with their academic advisor to determine when would be a good time to study abroad given their individual academic plan,” Tehan said.

During this meeting, the student’s advisor can help with which courses should be taken here versus while they are abroad. After the meeting, the student should also go to the International Education Office for Information on the study abroad options and to “facilitate the process.”

Along with meeting with advisors and the International Education office, there are also deadlines for applying to study abroad. According to Tehan, the deadline for application for the fall semester is March 15, while the deadline for the spring semester is Oct. 15. Tehan also said that the dates “may be flexible depending on the location the student is applying to go to.”

The cost is also an important factor when a student is considering studying abroad. Tehan explained that “during the semester that the student is studying abroad, they maintain their status” as a full-time Utica College student.

This means they pay “our tuition and fees.” She also explains that even with paying Utica College’s tuition and fees, “travel expenses and spending money should also be factored in.”

Featured Photo: Photo by Nicholas Souza.