SLCE Information Center added in White Hall

Thomas Caputo

SLCE Information Center

Lee Bingay, Staff Writer

As the spring semester is now in full swing, Utica College’s SLCE office now offers a new information station where students are able to ask questions regarding classroom locations, upcoming events on campus and more. 

The new information station has opened up in White Hall as part of the SLCE Office’s goal in assisting the Utica College community in finding the answers to questions they may have, directions to locations they may be looking for and a way to bring back human interaction on campus.

Director of Student Engagement Lauryn Moore said she is excited that this new feature is now available on campus.

“Our hope is to use the semester to find the right locations to nail down an effective training program, compile questions students are asking and then have the info station up and running for the new students that are first navigating their way around Utica’s campus,” Moore said. “There will be a friendly face always around to help you find your way.” 

Moore also said they are equipping all the students working at the information station to have “frequently asked questions” (FAQs), so these workers are able answer questions quickly and correctly. They are also equipped with the most recent information on events and important dates on campus.

SLCE decided on White Hall’s location because a lot of foot traffic goes through and it is easy to direct students to the academic classrooms, offices, departments or even to go grab a cup of coffee.

The SLCE office has plans in the works for opening up a second location with added services in the future, but the location has yet to be determined.

Tim Hogan, one of the student workers in the SLCE office, said this started because of the volume of questions the office receives from students walking to class every day. By opening up the information station in White Hall and having students readily available, they felt that there would be less pressure for students to ask for help from one of their peers, rather than someone who may be older working in the office and possibly feeling embarrassed to have to ask for help from another adult.