Career Services offers insight regarding job interviews

Omar Renta

Staff Writer

The job hunt is on for many students and alumni. Whether it is at a local grocery store during the summer or on Wall Street after graduation, nailing the interview is a pivotal part of landing a job or internship.

Interviews are an opportunity for students to market themselves further than what a resume and cover letter can. This face-to-face interaction can make or break a candidate’s ability to land the job.

A resume and cover letter are essential documents for an interview. A resume is a list of experiences in the workforce that includes a brief description of the duties of each experience. This provides the employer with a generic idea of what a candidate is capable of doing.

A cover letter relates directly to the job they are applying for, giving an in- depth description of who the candidate is.

Employers refer to the resume during interviews, so it is important that students are con dent in their resumes and print out a copy for themselves and the employer when going into an interview. Depending on the type of industry a student is entering, a portfolio may be necessary to bring to an interview. From writing samples to sketches and photography, portfolios provide the employer with a glimpse of what a potential employee is capable of.

Bringing a portfolio to an interview can help seal the deal at an interview.

Con dence is an imperative part of an interview. One way to achieve con dence is by researching the company or organization prior to the interview. Look out for things like a company’s mission statement, vision statement, cliental, and recent news stories.

Having background knowledge of the company shows the employer that the candidate is thorough and

knowledgeable. Candidates can also use websites such
as salaryglass.com to help gain knowledge on interview questions and job salaries.
Writing the questions down and answering them can help a candidate retain the information, which translates to feeling prepared and con dent for the interview. Practice makes perfect when preparing for an interview. The more candidates practice, the less rehearsed and generic they sound.

“You have to be con dent in knowing your abilities.” Sarah Garramone, employer relations coordinator and career counselor, said. “There can be two candidates that are both quali ed, but the one that can articulate that and say it beautifully is more likely to get the job.”

It is important to be mindful that there is a ne line between arrogance and con dence. Employers are looking for someone who has characteristics that will contribute to the growth of their company, so tread lightly.

Once the interview is over, be sure to thank the employer for his or her time and ask what the timeline is to hear back from them. The end of the interview is the opportunity for candidates to ask the employer questions, so don’t be afraid to ask questions.

Candidates should wait at least a week to hear back from employers before sending a follow-up email. It is important to show the employer that there is interest, but not too much that it comes off as aggressive

Needless to say, the interview process is daunting and intimidating. Luckily for students gearing up for interviews, the Of ce of Career Services is here to help. From editing resumes and cover letters to mock interviews, Career Services provides loads of resources for students and alumni to help them prepare for an interview.

Career Services also provides interviewing guides that aid candidates through the interview process. These guides range from common interview questions to breathing techniques. These services are aimed to help reduce pre-interview anxiety for students and alumni.

Students and alumni can stop by Career Services to schedule an appointment for more tips for interviews or attend workshops held by local employers. Using the resources provided by Career Services is a perfect way to cope with pre-interview anxiety and enter and leave the interview with confidence.