Communication and Media Students Win Top Honors at Syracuse Press Award Ceremony

Juniors Nolan Hyman and Briana Ajayi hold Syracuse Press Club Awards at the May 4, 2024 Professional Recognition Awards Dinner. Hyman and Ajayi contributed to the Utica Parks and You multimedia project, which won first place in the Student Best Use of Multimedia category. Photo: Mary Christopher

Utica University student journalists and Communication and Media students won two first place awards and an honorable mention from the Syracuse Press Club at the organization’s 2024 Annual Recognition Dinner on May 4. 

The Syracuse Press Club consists of journalists, educators, students and communications professionals working in Central New York print, radio, television and digital media. 

The JLM 461 Multimedia Web Design Class, taught by Director of Tangerine Operations Mary Christopher during the Fall 2023 semester, won first place in the Student Best Use of Multimedia category for its Utica Parks and You multimedia project. Commenting on the class’s winning entry, the judge said, “A lot of thought and time was put into this entry, and it shows. Everything is well-organized and engaging. Beautiful job, Utica!”

The Utica Parks and You project explored the impact of Utica’s park and parkway system on the area’s wellness and identity using a variety of digital platforms, including podcasts, interactive maps, social media promotion, videos and written stories. 

Mickale Thompson, The Tangerine’s Fall 2023 Editor-in-Chief, won two Syracuse Press Club Awards at the organization’s 2024 Professional Recognition Awards Dinner.

Another first place award was given to former Tangerine Editor-in-Chief Mickale Thompson, a December 2023 graduate, in the Student Print/Digital Sports Story category for his Tangerine article “‘We’re certainly very white’ Inside the lack of diversity in Utica University’s athletic programs.” The judge noted it was a “Well reported story…good use of data. This is how sports becomes news.”

Thompson also received an honorable mention in the Student Print/Digital News Story category for his Tangerine article AAUP-Utica files discriminatory grievance against Utica University.”

Tangerine and Communication & Media students have won 10 Syracuse Press Club awards over the past five years. Judges from partner press clubs around the United States review and rank the top entries for each Syracuse Press Club Award category.