Album Review: Post Malone’s “Hollywood’s Bleeding”

Post Malone dropped his new album, Hollywood’s Bleeding on Sept. 6, 2019. Hollywood’s Bleeding is Post’s third album. The Syracuse native, singer, songwriter and record producer’s previous albums include, Stoney and Beerbongs & Bentleys.

Post Malone dropped his new album, “Hollywood’s Bleeding,” on Sept. 6. “Hollywood’s Bleeding” is Malone’s third album. The Syracuse-native singer, songwriter and record producer’s previous albums include “Stoney” and “Beerbongs & Bentleys.” 

“Hollywood’s Bleeding” has been a hit since release, spending the past two weeks at number one the Billboard music charts. The album sold 489,000 album units by Sept. 12 in the U.S. alone.  Not only is the album successful in the United States, but also across the pond. “Hollywood’s Bleeding” has also hit number one on the U.K. charts, according to Forbes. 

This is Malone’s second number one album to hit the Billboard charts, after 2018’s “Beerbongs & Bentleys.”  Malone’s newest album surpassed Taylor Swift’s album “Lover,” according to Billboard. The top three spots on the Billboard charts have also been occupied by Malone’s three singles released previously to promote the album. 

Malone has more than 59 million monthly listeners on Spotify and is also ranked as the third most listened to artist on Spotify. The most popular song played on Spotify is Malone’s “Goodbyes,” featuring Young Thug, with over 322 million plays. 

On this latest album, Post Malone collaborated with other artists from a wide range of genres, including: Future, Halsey, Swae Lee, Travis Scott and Ozzy Osbourne. 

Utica College students have been listening to Malone’s latest release. Senior public relations major Josie Sgarlata listened to all of “Hollywood’s Bleeding” the day it came out. Fellow UC students, freshman Chris Clemens and junior Sydney Scaccia, have also had the album on repeat since launch day.

Both Clemens and Sgarlata liked the song “Saint Tropez” the most for its good-vibe nature.  Scaccia liked the song as well, but her favorite is “Die for Me.” 

“I like ‘Die for Me’ because it’s with two other artists, Future and Halsey,” Scaccia said. 

All three UC students were big fans of Malone before this album came out, and have enjoyed listening to Malone’s previous albums “Stoney” and “Beerbongs & Bentleys.” 

Fans of Malone have questioned whether this new album will be as popular as the previous album. 

“Personally, I like his old album more,” Sgarlata said.  “But I feel this album will get more attention because he now has a bigger fan base and the album includes a lot of collaborations.”  

Clemens thinks that “Hollywood’s Bleeding” will not live up to “Beerbongs & Bentleys” record breaking success. 

“None of the songs that have been released off the new album are going as viral as the ones off ‘Beerbongs & Bentleys,’” Clemens said. “He did say though that on this album he was trying to release different styles of songs and experiment with a lot of different things.” 

“This album was released at an awkward time compared to “Beerbongs & Bentleys,” which was released in the summer,” Scaccia said. “So, I don’t think the songs are as good, partially due to the timing they are released.  I feel like the songs are kind of sad and are break up songs.”

These UC students would not pass on an opportunity to see Malone in concert, however. Post Malone is currently on tour and will be making stops relatively close to the area.  

“I know he’s playing in Buffalo in October and I would love to go, but I can’t because of field hockey,” Sgarlata said. 

Clemens would also love to attend one of Malone’s concerts in the future.  Scaccia has previously been to one of his concerts for the “Beerbongs & Bentleys” tour. 

“I wish I could go again this year. I would pay any amount of money to go see him again, he was the best concert I’ve been to,” Scaccia said. 

Hollywood’s Bleeding has been a popular hit since being released. This album has been number one on the Billboard music charts for the past two weeks. In addition, the album opened up with 489,000 album units earned by Sept. 12 in the U.S.

This is Post’s second number one album to hit the Billboard charts, behind Beerbongs & Bentleys. Hollywood’s Bleeding is currently in its second biggest week for any album that has dropped in 2019.

Post’s newest album has surpassed Taylor Swift’s album, Lover, according to Billboard. The top three spots on the Billboard charts have also been occupied by Post’s three singles previously released before the full album.

Not only is Hollywood’s Bleeding making success in the United States, but also across the pond. Hollywood’s Bleeding has hit number one on the U.K. charts, according to Forbes.

Post Malone has over 59 million monthly listeners on Spotify and is also ranked as the third most listened to artist on Spotify.  Post’s singles have millions of plays on Spotify. The most popular song played on Spotify is Goodbyes, featuring Young Thug, with over 322 million plays.

On this latest album Post Malone collaborated with various artists from a wide range of genres. Collaboration artists include, Future, Halsey, Swae Lee, Travis Scott, and Ozzy Osbourne.

Utica College students have been listening to Post’s latest release. Senior Public Relations major, Josie Sgarlata listened to Hollywood’s Bleeding the day it came out.

Other fellow UC students, freshman Chris Clemens and junior Sydney Scaccia also listened to the album the day it was released.

“The day it was released, I’m a big fan,” Clemens said. Clemens favorite song off the album is “Saint-Tropez because it gives me good vibes.”

Sgarlata also likes the song Saint-Tropez. Scaccia likes that song as well, but her favorite is Die for Me.

“I like Die for Me because it’s with two other artists, Future and Halsey,” Scaccia said.

All three UC students were big fans of Post Malone before this album came out and have enjoyed listening to Stoney and Beerbongs & Bentleys.

Though UC students do enjoy the new album they also still enjoy Post’s previous album Beerbongs & Bentleys. Fans of Post do question whether this new album will be as popular as the previous album.

“Personally, I like his old album more, but I feel this album will get more attention because he now has a bigger fan base and the album includes a lot of collaborations,” Sgarlata said.

Clemens also thinks that Hollywood’s Bleeding will not live up to Beerbongs & Bentleys record breaking success.

“None of the songs that have been released off the new album are going as viral as the ones off Beerbongs & Bentleys,” Clemens said. “He did say though that on this album he was trying to release different styles of songs and experiment with a lot of different things.”

“This album was released at an awkward time compared to Beerbongs & Bentleys, which was released in the summer,” Scaccia said. “So, I don’t think the songs are as good, partially due to the timing they are released.

“I feel like the songs are kind of sad and are break up songs,” Scaccia said. “The song Internet is a really sad one.”

These UC students wouldn’t pass on an opportunity to see Post in concert. Post Malone is currently on tour and will be making stops relatively close to the area, the closet being Buffalo.

“I know he’s playing in Buffalo in October and I would love to go but I can’t because of field hockey,” Sgarlata said.

Clemens would also love to attend one of Post’s concerts in the future.  Scaccia has previously been to one of his concerts for the Beerbongs & Bentleys tour.